Saturday, December 15, 2012

THE WATER WITCH BY JULIET DARK


FAIRWICK CHRONICLES VOL 2 

Synopsis
"You have only to call my name to bring me back", he whispered, his breath hot in my ear. "You have only to love me to make me human".
Callie McFay is the guardian of the last gateway between the world of Faerie and mankind. Seduced by a powerful incubus demon, she has succeeded in banishing Liam to the Borderlands but he still haunts her dreams, tempting her with the knowledge of how to bring him back. But loving an incubus usually ends in death for a human. 

For her own sake Callie must learn to control her desires and ensure Liam remains trapped for all eternity in his watery prison. 

Only there is a more dangerous creature than Liam in the Borderlands. The Water Witch is also looking for a way back...

Summary
Callie tries to get over her heartbreak by focusing on repairing her old house and taking her responsibilities as a guardian of the door to the world of fairies. Unfortunately, in one of her incursion into fairyland, she releases a dangerous undine. 

Reactions
I was excited about "The demon lover" and I waited with impatience and eagerness to dive into the adventures of Callie and her lover. 
Unfortunately, I has not been sweep off feet by this sequel. 

After reading the first volume, I was wishing for more magic. This is quite what I have gotten: incantations, grimoires, transformations and explanation about the magical and enchanting world but the charm has not operated.
I found Callie too angry, too tempted to forget Liam by all means. In parallel, she continued to benefit from his kindness, his love and his attentions in her dreams and fantasies. I found her behavior a bit annoying and sad. 

So, even if there are reversals of situation that kept me in suspense and help me turning the pages eagerly, I did not find the little extra that capsized me like in "The Demon Lover."

Admittedly, I had a great time and I look forward to read more but I missed the little extra ingredient that would have made me groan to wait until 2013 ... 

However, this remains an interesting series with which the reader is transported into a magical world well-crafted that blend myth and reality perfectly ...


Sentences

From Callie: "It would be nice if all my problems could be fixed with a hammer and a handful of nails..."



THE WATER WITCH BY JULIET DARK 
FAIRWICK CHRONICLES VOL 2 

Traduction du synopsis 
"Tu n'as qu'à appeler mon nom pour me ramener à la vie», lui dit-il, son souffle chaud dans son oreille. "Tu n'as qu'à m'aimer pour me rendre humain".

Callie McFay est la gardienne de la dernière porte entre le monde des fées et celui des humains. Séduite par un puissant démon incubus, elle a réussi à bannir Liam à la frontière mais il hante encore ses rêves, la tentant avec la connaissance de la manière dont elle pourrait le ramener. Mais aimer un amant demon se termine généralement par la mort de l'être humain. 

Pour son propre bien, Callie doit donc apprendre à contrôler ses désirs et à veiller à ce que Liam reste prisonnier pour l'éternité dans sa prison liquide. 

Seulement, il y a des créatures plus dangereuses que Liam à la frontière. La Sorcière des Eaux est également à la recherche d'un moyen de revenir dans le monde des humains ...

Résumé 
Callie tente de se remettre de sa peine de coeur en se concentrant sur les réparations de sa maison et ses responsabilités de gardienne de la porte qui mène au monde des fées. Mais lors de l'une de ces incursions en territoire magique, elle libère une dangereuse ondine. 

Impressions 
J'avais été emballée par "The demon lover" et j'attendais avec impatience et avidité de me plonger dans la suite des aventures de Callie et de son amant. 
Malheureusement, je n'ai pas été aussi enthousiasmée.

A l'issue de ma précédente lecture, j'avais souhaité plus de magie. C'est tout a fait ce que j'ai eu: des incantations, des grimoires, des transformations ainsi que des explications sur le monde magique et féerique mais le charme n'a pas opéré. 

J'ai trouvé Callie trop en colère, trop tentée d'oublier Liam par tous les moyens alors qu'en parallèle, elle continuait à bénéficier de sa gentillesse, de son amour et de ses attentions dans ses rêves et ses fantasmes. J'ai trouvé son changement de comportement un peu agaçant et triste.


Du coup, même s'il y a des revirements de situation qui m'ont maintenus en haleine et fait tourner les pages. Mais j'avoue ne pas avoir retrouvé le petit plus qui m'avait saisi et fait chavirer dans "The demon Lover".

Certes, j'ai passé un agréable moment et j'ai hâte de lire la suite mais il m'a manqué le petit ingrédient supplémentaire qui m'aurait fait râler d'attendre jusqu'en 2013... 

Cependant, cela reste toujours une série intéressante avec laquelle le lecteur est transporté dans un monde féerique bien ficelé mêlant mythes et réalité à merveille...

3 comments:

  1. LOVE the second cover of the book. So girly and mysterious I have not read of this series, but it definitely stands out! Sending your lover to the Borderlands! That is SOMETHING!
    LOVED your review, Lucie!
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll put off reading this series for now, it sounds like Deborah Harkness' series and I didn't like those that much. Thanks for the inside info Lucie!

    Braine

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive