Sunday, May 6, 2012

HOLLYWOOD IN HEELS BY CHARITY GAYE FINNESTAD


Synopsis
« Hollywood in Heels » is the true story of a working model struggling to make it as a writer AND find meaningful relationships in a city where sex is the primary commodity and illusion the name of the game.

Sexy, smart, shockingly honest and wickedly hilarious, this memoir chronicles the life of Charity Gaye Finnestad, a small town girl from Oregon on a quest to make it in Tinsel Town.

From sipping on five-hundred dollar bottles of champagne in celeb-filled mansions in the hills to cruising the aisles of the 99 Cents Only Store to stock her fridge, Charity's adventures are like nothing any dreamer could've imagined. While the landscape may differ from where many call home everyone will relate to the dating highs, hopes and heartbreaks she encounters along the way. Join Charity on her journey to catch her writing dreams and find the true love of her life to fly beside her.


Summary:
Charity has thrown away all her life in Oregon to become a model and to embrace success as a writer in Hollywood. In a city where illusion reigns and where relationships are superficial, Charity will fight for her dreams and find true love.

Reactions:
I struggled not to sigh during my reading. And for once, it was not from extasy or because my imagination has run away. On the contrary, I was bored. I expected to find a common thread, a fall ... In short, a story.

I struggled to get to the end of my reading even if the author's style is good. I have witnessed times when humor was supposed to make reader's smile and even make it laugh. It's the reason I got to continue reading without conviction and without managing to make me lift a corner of my lips.

So I think that's life chronicled inside the book more than the book itself that has not captured my interest. During all of my reading, I wondered how Charity was able to work daily, go out every night until late and have time for all her lovers, her friends and still find some times to pursue her writing's dreams. Unless Charity has super powers, found pills to never sleep or has being able to split in two... I was tired for her!
To top it all, a happy ending with a Prince Charming and a professional success.


As the story is based on a true one, I feel like I was judging a life through my reading. As everyone is free to live its life as its sees fit, I can just say that the universe portrayed was not one to make me dream about.
Yet I'm happy for the heroine to have achieved her objectives. As for me, I was also happy to move on to another book...

Now facing my review, I can only give my honest point of view. I was disappointed. I expected a story mixing a bit of
"The Devil Wears Prada" with a hint of "Bridget Jones" and "Sex in the City."

The ingredients were present, all of high quality, but the dish was too rich for my liking to savor its subtlety or make me order a dessert.
As tastes and colors are subjective, maybe other readers will appreciate the menu, the chef and the restaurant. 



Sentences

« At times, it feels so bold and glorious to be blazing my own trail, creating my own destiny, writing my little heart out in Hollywood. Other times, I just feel like a complete fool for not going into law, finance, medecine – anything with a guaranteed pay check and prestige. »

« I'm not for sale. I'm for free – for the right guy. »

« A woman's tears are kryptonite for most men. »
 

« It was time I wrote my own script instead of reading the lines handed to me. After all, my life WAS my own creation. »


HOLLYWOOD IN HEELS
BY CHARITY GAYE FINNESTAD


Traduction du synopsis:
"Hollywood in Heels" est une histoire vraie d'un mannequin travaillant tout en essayant de percer comme écrivain et tentant de trouver des relations significatives dans une ville où le sexe est la principale monnaie d'échange et l'illusion le nom du jeu.

Sexy, intelligent, étonnament honnête et méchamment drôle, ce mémoire raconte la vie de Charity Gaye Finnestad, une petite fille sortie d'une ville de l'Oregon dans sa quête pour parvenir au succès dans Tinsel Town.

Des bouteilles de champagne à cinq cent dollars sirotées, dans des demeures sur les collines remplies de célébrités, aux croisières dans les allées de hard discount à 99 centimes pour remplir son frigo, les aventures de Charity ne ressemblent en rien à ce qu'on aurait pu imaginer.
 Alors que le paysage peut être différent de ce que beaucoup appelle un chez-soi, tout le monde peut se retrouver dans les joies, les espoirs et les chagrins qu'elle rencontre le long du chemin pour trouver l'âme soeur. Rejoignez Charity dans son voyage pour parvenir à embrasser ses rêves d'écriture et à trouver le véritable amour de sa vie pour voler à ses côtés.


Résumé:
Charity plaque toute sa vie dans l'Oregon pour devenir mannequin et percer comme écrivain à Hollywood. Dans une ville où l'illusion est reine et ou les relations sont superficielles, Charity va se battre pour réaliser ses rêves et rencontrer l'amour.

Impressions:
J'ai éprouvé des difficultés à ne pas soupirer durant toute ma lecture. Et pour une fois, ce n'était pas d'aise ou parce que mon imagination s'était envolée. Bien au contraire, je me suis ennuyée ferme!
J'attendais de trouver un fil directeur, une chute... Bref, une histoire.


J'ai bataillé pour arriver à la fin de ma lecture même si le style de l'auteur est bon et agréable. J'ai vu les moments où l'humour était supposé faire sourire et même rire le lecteur et je m'y suis raccrochée pour poursuivre ma lecture mais sans conviction et sans parvenir à me faire soulever un coin de lèvres.

Je pense donc que c'est la vie relatée dans l'ouvrage, plus que le livre en lui même, qui n'a pas su capter mon intérêt. Car durant toute ma lecture, je me suis demandée comment Charity parvenait à travailler la journée, sortir jusqu'à pas d'heures toutes les nuits, avoir du temps pour tous ses amants, ses copines et encore parvenir à poursuivre son rêve d'écriture.
A moins d'avoir des supers pouvoirs, ne jamais dormir ou d'être capable de se dédoubler. J'étais fatiguée pour elle! Pour couronner le tout, une happy end avec prince charmant et succès professionnel à ma clé.


Comme le récit est basée sur une histoire vraie, j'ai eu l'impression de juger une vie au travers d'une lecture. Comme chacun est libre de vivre sa vie comme il l'entend, je ne peux juste que constater que l'univers dépeint ne m'a pas fait rêver.
Pourtant, je suis contente pour son héroïne d'avoir atteint ses objectifs mais moi-même, j'étais également contente de passer à un autre bouquin.

Maintenant face à mon résumé, je ne peux que livrer mon sentiment de déception. Je m'attendais à une histoire mélangeant
« Le Diable s'habille en Prada » avec un soupçon de « Bridget Jones » et de « Sex in the City ».

Les ingrédients étaient présents, tous de qualité, mais le plat devait être trop riche, à mon goût, pour me faire savourer sa subtilité ou me faire commander un dessert.
Comme les goûts et les couleurs sont subjectifs peut-être que d'autres lecteurs sauront apprécier le menu, le chef et le restaurant. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive